I often talk about what nothing to hide 1 2 3 4 5 means, why privacy is important 1 2 and why you wouldn’t give me your phone unlocked, why you close the toilet’s door or why you won’t give me you VISA code.
There is more to it as far as I’m concerned. If you ever happen to read/have-read Hyperion you already know what it means to have a lot of services (Google, Facebook, Twitter ..) taken for granted and see them disappear 1 2 3 4 . Even if you think the-gov-has-only-good-guys and I-have-nuttin-to-hide, your life (your Google account) can disappear in a second. The real problem being you WON’T have any say in this - you’ll be crushed, plain and simple.
The tools below began as both
- An experiment in not depending on any of these behemoth that everybody has
- My signing of a professional contract stating I won’t reveal/upload/share anything -legalese blah blah- and I uninstalled any google service from my phone
- A will to say f*ck I’m a 90’s crypt0ciph3r knight from cyb3rpunk era, I don’t need those and I won’t
Disclaimer: As a consequence I have no Google, Facebook, Instagram, Pintereset, Whatsapp, Microsoft, iCloud or your-easy-fr3ak1ng-st4lk3r-here account. Mark my words.
The red pill
If you want to try and block the GAFAMs you can
- Study and install this script, install_20210123_rules.sh
- Learn how to enumerate AS32934 for Facebook and how to enumerate Google AS set before recursing into IP ranges
- Perform CIDR merging. You’re all set to write your own iptables/netfilter firewall
My android firewall
I coded myself a companion APK, just to have a quick on/off switch (uses SuperSU and iptables under the hood)